The IPCC has announced their latest analysis of Earth’s climate and have unequivocally stated that humans are having a demonstrable affect.
- Human influence on the climate system is clear.
- Human influence has been detected in warming of the atmosphere and the ocean, in changes in the global water cycle, in reductions in snow and ice, in global mean sea level rise, and in changes in some climate extremes.
- Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia.
- Each of the last three decades has been successively warmer at the Earth’s surface than any preceding decade since 1850.
- Ocean warming dominates the increase in energy stored in the climate system, accounting for more than 90% of the energy accumulated between 1971 and 2010.
- Over the last two decades the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have been losing mass, glaciers have continued to shrink almost worldwide, and Arctic sea ice and Northern Hemisphere spring snow cover have continued to decrease in extent.
- The rate of sea level rise since the mid-19th century has been larger than the mean rate during the previous two millennia.
- The atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2), methane, and nitrous oxide have increased to levels unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years.
- The largest contribution to total radiative forcing (an uptake of energy by the climate system) is caused by the increase in the atmospheric concentration of CO 2since 1750.
It is very likely that the Arctic sea ice cover will continue to shrink and thin and that Northern Hemisphere spring snow cover will decrease during the 21st century as global mean surface temperature rises.
- 2nd and 3rd world countries will continue to industrialize as fast as they can. Why wouldn’t they? They want to have 1st world amenities and affluence and who are we to deny them? To get there they will be leveraging any and every energy source they can. Coal, syn gas (a coal derivative), natural gas, and petroleum are all the best energy sources for industrialization. We in the US should know it. We have used most of the world’s consumption of the last 100 years.
- China WILL ignore all global warming evidence and continue to build out more coal fired electricity plants and the just as dirty synthetic gas plants. They will be importing all the LNG they can from exporters like the US, Ecuador/Venezuela, Iran, Russia, etc. As will all fossil fuel challenged countries like Japan and Indonesia.
- The world want’s to drive autos. And although electric cars are making inroads in all nations. The fact is, they add CO2 to the atmosphere too.
- Oil companies will continue to explore, find and exploit finds like the Bakkans, Southern California, Adelaide Australia, Vaca Muerta Argentina, and of course the Arctic.
- All first world nations will continue business as usual as to not do so would cripple their economies at this critical time. A time that will last for a decade or more due to the fiat nature of all 1st world nation currencies.
- Renewable energy sources are inadequate for the job of displacing fossil fuel energy. And will be for 1/2 a century or more.
- Nuclear energy has such a stigma at this time it will take a decade or three to expand and supplant fossil fuel energy generation to any appreciable degree.